Sunday, January 13, 2013

Art Capital

Angono is considered to be the art capital of the country; and given that it's less than an hour drive (2 hours if I drive. haha) from where I live, I really wanted visit the petroglyphs site and go to an art gallery or two. I decided to make the most out of my weekend and go.

I started with Saturday volunteer work. After which, I went to dinner with my college friends at Cafe 1771 in El Pueblo. I love the ambiance of the restaurant, it feels so fancy and homey at the same time. The food was pretty good although quite pricey and their macarons are delectable, they melt in your mouth!







On Sunday, I decided to go to Angono with friends Reuel and Kela. It was a pleasant drive, and the view from the mountain was great. The museum, however, was quite disappointing. It was small and lacked content. I feel like it could showcase much more artifacts related to petroglyphs or ancient writings/carvings - which would significantly add value to the experience of all their visitors.



The petroglyphs were interesting, carvings that show stick figures of people supposedly giving praise. There was also some animals like a lizard, which is believed to be some sort of offering to the gods. I couldn't make much of it since the carvings were quite few and one could only speculate what exactly they are supposed to mean but I think it still is worth the visit. I feel like it's just one of those things you try to make sense of, makes you think and imagine how life was before.





One of the great things about the location being so far from the city is that the ecosystem is thriving. There were many species of wild birds of different colors. I even saw two owls! 



OWL! 
After we toured the petroglyphs site, we heded to Balaw-balaw, a restaurant by the main road which is popular for serving exotic dishes such as snakes, frogs and crickets. We ordered uok (the only available exotic dish available), which I did not enjoy. I just had a flower salad. 


Uok

Cooked uok





 They had a gallery at the back of the restaurant too. They have plenty of beautiful paintings. I hope I learn how to paint as well as them in the near future!




Capped off my weekend by singing (or shouting, rather) karaoke with my crazy girlfriends. I'm not quite sure I'm ready to go back to work in a few hours though :(