Friday, July 20, 2012

To the City of Majestic Waterfalls, Iligan.

"Welcome to the City of Majestic Waterfalls" it read on a sign as we crossed the border into Iligan. This city has about 20 waterfalls and this, I was really looking forward to as I have never seen one before. Since our trip to Iligan was only a couple of hours long, I was praying that we would have enough spare time (after work, of course) to visit at least one waterfall. 

We were Cagayan de Oro and since we finished work a day in advance, we went to Iligan(to visit our dealers in that area). On the way there, we passed by El Salvador where the Divine Mercy Shrine was and we made a quick 20-minute stop. The place was just well, divine - in every sense of the word. The shrine is 50-foot tall, it was built on top of a hill surrounded by trees and it has a nice view of the sea from afar. The place is so serene that there's an instant sense of peace within oneself the moment one reaches the top of the stairs heading to the shrine. 


The Divine Mercy Shrine, El Salvador, Mindano

divine mercy shrine el salvador mindanao

While in Iligan we had the chance to visit the most famous waterfall in the country, the Maria Cristina Falls. It was a few minutes drive from the city proper. And this is something that one should really make time for when in north Mindanao. 

maria cristina falls mindanao
Maria Cristina Falls


She was majestic, exquisite and forceful. It is everything that Mother nature really is. It being my first time to see a waterfall, I knew I was going to be surprised but Maria Cristina exceeded my expectations ten fold. I was left in awe of its power, beauty and grandeur.


                    waterfall iligan mindanao

My perception of a waterfall has always been what I have seen on movies- beautiful and romantic- where the lead actors swim, be sweet to each other, and have their first kiss and other kilig stuff (haha!). But the Maria Cristina's current is so strong (it actually powers a hydroelectric plant that provides electricity to the region). Bathing or dipping your feet in the water wouldn't be an option. It was amazing nonetheless. 


We had lunch at a place by the road called Gloria's Ihaw-Ihaw, they serve local food and it was pretty delicious. It also has a view of the sea. Isn't it nice?

north mindano beach
The locals were busy catching crablets, I wanted to try catching one but couldn't find any. 

The place is also right in front of the childhood home of former President Arroyo in Iligan. 


north mindanao
Gloria Arroyo's former home (one of many) 


Wouldn't it be nice to have a tiny river like this at your backyard?  The water actually is quite clear in person.

Inside Gloria's old playhouse with her creepy dolls.



The city has so many waterfalls that if I had the time, I would go visit more. I think one of the more popular ones is the Tinago falls which we wanted to visit but lacked the time as it as out of the way. Unlike Maria Cristina, this had a small lake/pool where visitors can take a dip and the photos I have seen are just so beautiful. I would love to visit that place if I get the chance in the future!

Before this business trip, I did not even know where Iligan is. It isn't as popular as the other tourist spots in the country but I think it should be. I did some research and they have nice beaches too (not that you would be looking for one after you visit their majestic waterfalls), the food is quite cheap and it's a 2.5-hour drive to CDO which is popular for its water rafting. For those who are traveling on a budget but is looking for some adventure, I think Iligan should be a destination to be considered.